Milli Bala Profile
Milli Bala has been ‘holding her own’ in the music industry since 2010, packing dance floors and festivals with her progressive, deep house music across the country. Since her debut 10-track album, House Maepa, Milli Bala is quickly becoming a house-hold name in South Africa.
- What is your DJ Name?
- Where are you from?
I hail from the Mother City.
- What city do you currently reside in?
The gorgeous, Cape Town.
- How long have you been in the industry?
I have been in the industry for seven glorious years – since 2010.
- What is your favourite track to mix with currently?
I have many, but one of my favourite tracks to mix to at the moment is Radar by Stimming.
- What are your biggest achievements as a DJ?
My biggest achievement has been to release a debut album at the end of 2010 and also two music videos. I have also been fortunate enough to play at the Cape Town Jazz Festival 2015 and being a Metro FM Resident DJ on the Dance Culture Show, from 2014 to 2017.
- What genre of music do you play?
I am a Deep House DJ.
- What made you want to become a DJ?
Being a socialite, the love of music and being surrounded by happy people is what made me want to become a DJ.
- What was your biggest gig/s?
The Cape Town Jazz Festival was definitely my biggest gig.
- What are your personal interests, besides music?
I have a quite a few, but these are my favourite: painting/drawing, swimming, reading, cooking and travelling.
- What is your favourite quote?
It varies with each situation, but if I have to decide on one I always go for, “God will never give you a load you can’t handle.”
- What artist do you find most inspirational, and why?
I find Jacqueline Wood quite inspirational – she plays Steffi Forrester on the popular adult soap: The Bold and The Beautiful. She is also a DJ, and an MC and her life is about following and catching her dreams. She is vibrant, wild and a diverse person – I relate to that. And when she is not everything I have mentioned, she is on a yacht profiling all the topnotch entertainment venues around the globe from Jamaica, Cape Town, Venice, San Fransisco, Madagascar to Los Angeles etc. Living your dreams doesn’t get better than that – I look at her and I feel that I can do it too!
- Where do you find inspiration for your music?
I find inspiration from experiences, nature, and the people I surround myself with.
- What are the top 10 tips you would give to a female DJ starting out?
- Know your self-worth and value.
- Dream big and be determined.
- Don’t listen to the noise/nonsense; believe in yourself.
- Work hard, more and very smart – because generally, that’s what women have to do.
- Always give your best.
- Love and embrace what you do.
- Pray and show gratitude.
- Look and find ways to be innovative in yourself and in the craft.
- Surround yourself with people in the same craft, who have more experience so that you can learn from them.